With an earthy, simple-yet-bold look, our Barkcloth Travel Wallet is a perfect companion for your travel, to keep and carry your travel documents, cash, cards, passport, and even a notebook and a mobile phone.
- 1 zippered pocket
- 2 slip pockets
- 9 card compartments
- zippered lock
L 18 x W 3 x H 25 cm (7 x 1 x 10 in)
- Beaten-barkcloth ethically sourced and made of hohawa tree bark. Handmade by our partnering women artisans in Bada Valley, Central Sulawesi.
- Cotton linen lining.
- Nickel-free brass zipper.
*** We do our best to photograph the work and all of the photographs are taken in natural light. However, natural colors often cover more tones with more subtle shades. Please keep in mind that the colors may appear differently according to your computer screen, so slight variations in tones are to be expected. ***
Titin: Barkcloth Artisan
Novieta Tourisia: Product Designer
Duration of Making Process: 35 days
Cinta Bumi Artisans' barkcloth goods are made out of ethically-sourced tree barks originated from Bada Valley, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia. The tree barks are harvested in accordance with season, weather and local custom, using the right technique so that it does not harm the environment.
The intricate barkcloth-making process includes sap cleaning, boiling for hours (for certain types of plants), fermentation in banana leaf-wrap for several days, continuous pounding/beating processes (to embed, stretch, soften, strengthen and spruce the fibers), air-drying, and non-heat ironing by using flat-wood. Some special-intended barkcloth, such as for wedding attires, are even more intricate as they require special method of natural dyeing and hand-painting process for a luxury touch in the finish piece.
The finish barkcloth sheets are then proceeded to the next step. In our home-based studio in Bali, the products are designed-with-love by me, Novieta. I embrace design inspiration simply from my travels and daily life – beautiful natural landscape, kind-hearted people and drizzles at one sunny day are some parts of it.
In assembling materials, we make the most efficient cuttings and patterns as best as we can; respecting the elaborate making process of the barkcloth itself, as much as striving for sustainable design principles by creating minimum waste in our production. From prototype to final result, we optimally put our artisanal craftsmanship skills; creating authentic handmade barkcloth goods for your daily use.
• Store your barkcloth good(s) in a dust bag. Avoid storing in plastic bag to allow the barkcloth to breathe.
• Use dry and soft cloth to clean the barkcloth when exposed to dirt and dust; whilst most grease, oil stains and ink marks are unfortunately non-removable and should be left alone.
• Though the natural sap/gel from the treebark strengthened and twined each fibre to another through its long and intricate making process, it is highly recommended to avoid extreme contact with water for the best use and performance. If any contact with water happens, air dry it in the shade.
• Barkcloth is a natural material. Slight discoloration, scratches, or change in texture may be visible. These small inconsistencies in your barkcloth should not be considered a defect but rather add to the beauty and uniqueness of your goods.
• Please keep in mind that we are not responsible for any damage that occurs if instructions are not followed.