New Moon is an entrance. She guides you to create a space you need to set your intention. Every time she arrives, she says, "It's time to begin again. Be firm but gentle with yourself."
The darkness of her is not made of fear and sorrow. It is, in the most beautiful truth, the darkness that allows you to go deep within, to reconnect with your souls as you encapsulate the wisdom in you.
ANATOMY - New Moon Necklace
- Base - Pure linen, ecoprinted with plants.
- Inner layer - Indigo-dyed paper mulberry barkcloth.
- Outer layer (the moon) - Ecoprinted and indigo-dyed paper mulberry barkcloth.
- Threads - Cotton yarn, dyed with indigo in gradual dips.
- Soulful charms - Paper mulberry barkcloth beads in original color (off-white) and dyed with belleric fruit skin and indigofera tinctoria.
Necklace Cord Length: 50 - 75 cm (adjustable)
Pendant: 6.5 cm x 8.5 cm
Naturally-dyed, designed, and handcrafted by Novieta Tourisia. From her Arutala Journal, June 2020.
1. a historical account or biography written from personal knowledge or special sources.
· an autobiography or a written account of one's memory of certain events or people.
2. an essay on a learned subject.
Arutala in Sanskrit -- the root of our ancestral language -- means rembulan, or how we call the Moon in Bahasa Indonesia. Moon phases -- Putaran Arutala, our ancestral intuition and the magic of womanhood (which beautifully relates to moon cycle) inspired me in birthing this collection.
Memoar Arutala consists of eight particles that interpret eight moon phases: Intention (New Moon), Breathe (Crescent Moon), Create (First Quarter Moon), Trust (Gibbous Moon), Clarity (Full Moon), Gratitude (Disseminating Moon), Giving (Third Quarter Moon), and finally Restore (Balsamic Moon) before it goes back to intention.
It's a personal reminder for me -- which I sincerely hope to inspire you -- that every single path has a profound story worth to memorize, and for centuries our ancestors on our dear Earth used to "dance with the moon". The women were especially connected with the moon, understanding their state of mind, body and soul as each moon phase came; and they even calculated the right dates for cultural rituals and agricultural practice based on the moon phase, something that many of us had been disconnected for too long.
Above all, Memoar Arutala is a loving and grateful memorabilia dedicated to the Universe, who gives us herself as a sacred space we call our home.